Response: Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel,
for he has come to his people and set them free.
1. He has raised up for us a mighty saviour,
born of the house of his servant David.
2. Through his holy prophets he promised of old
that he would save us from our enemies,
from the hands of all that hate us.
3. He promised to show mercy to our fathers,
and to remember his holy covenant.
4. This was the oath that he swore to our father Abraham:
to set us free from the hands of our enemies.
5. Free to worship him without fear,
holy and righteous in his sight all the days of our life.
6. You my child shall be called the prophet of the Most High,
for you will go before the Lord to prepare his way.
7. To give his people knowledge of salvation
by the forgiveness of all their sins.
8. In the tender compassion of our God
the dawn from on high shall break upon us.
9. To shine on those who dwell in darkness
and the shadow of death,
and to guide our feet into the way of peace.